Friday, May 27, 2011

Herbs and edible flowers


My second balcony project are edible flowers and herbs, which I put on the sunny side of my balcony. The small pots contain seeds of thyme and lemon balm, two herbs with a delicious odor. I have no idea if they will be large enough once the plants have grown, but I can always repot them. In the largest pots I put classical sunflowers, because their warm yellow look makes me happy. The strange brown pots hold indian cress, for their beautiful (and edible!) flowers.

All are sowed in a mix of potting soil (around 60%), compost (around 35%) and a lucerne mix (around 5%), except for the ones with the red clothes-pins. In those three pots I left out the lucerne, to see if this really makes a difference.


The brown pots I put the indian cress in are biodegradable. I like the way they look, but unfortunately, they don't smell that well. Maybe the lemon balm will be able to make up for that. We'll see how it evolves!